Thursday, November 3, 2011

Replacing Nexus One Headset plug

I've had a Nexus One for almost a year and a half, it's a very nice phone and it came with a headset that broke up after a year of use.

The problem started in the usual way: Sound was missing from one side but it came back for a while by moving/twisting the plug. After a couple of weeks, it stopped working at all, so I just dumped the headset in a drawer and it waited there for a few months.

I couldn't find any info on the web regarding the cables-pins mapping  for the N1 headset, so I had to figure it out by myself.

The headset has a TRRS connector, which is basically a 3.5mm plug with 4 pins (instead of the usual 3 from a simple stereo plug; the fourth pin provides an extra connection, usually for the Mic/Remote). I bought a replacement plug yesterday (at my local electronics store, 1€), and today I started by dissecting the old plug (using a very sharp tool to remove the hard plastic underneath the plug's outer rubber) to try to see which cable went with which pin.

It turns out the headset cable has 6 cables:

I was kind of surprised to see so many cables, but it all makes sense after a while:
- Outer 1, Outer 2 and Blue are ground.
- White is Mic/Remote.
- Green and Red are L/R audio.

Now, here's a TRRS plug:

And the cable/pin mapping is as follows:
- Outer 1, Outer 2 and Blue - Ring 2.
- White - Sleeve.
- Green and Red - Tip and Ring 1 (respectively).

Soldering a TRRS can be tricky, depending on the one you get. I'm not posting a photo of  the final soldering because mine ended up soldered so tight that I'm afraid something will break up if I open it (sorry), however, the important thing (for me anyway) is the mapping.

Hope it helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment